Losing Weight with Plant-Based Nutrition
Although results vary, a person with the average American diet can expect to lose 2-7 pounds in the first week alone of a strict whole-food, plant-based diet.
But that’s not all – with a whole-food, plant-based (WFPB) diet, the weight stays off.
This is because WFPB isn’t just about weight loss, it’s about improving your overall health.
With WFPB, you’ll lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels as well as improve your cognitive function, making you feel more positive, energetic, and clear-minded.
All while losing weight.
The journey to WFPB weight loss isn’t always easy when you do it alone.
That’s why we offer personalized, one-on-one nutrition coaching that focuses on helping you achieve your unique health and weight loss goals and includes two chef-prepared meals a day for 4 weeks.
How Does Plant-Based Help Me Lose Weight?
A plant-based diet moves veggies from stage-left to the center stage of your plate by eliminating animal products, ultra-processed foods, and highly refined oils from your diet.
With a WFPB diet, you will be able to eat a wide variety of nutritious whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and spices. This diet provides you with all the nutrients your body needs to prevent, improve, and reverse disease, produce energy efficiently, and of course, lose weight.
WFPB nutrition improves your health in these ways:
- WFPB nutrition removes all refined foods from your diet and replaces them with nutrient-rich and high fiber foods. Contrary to popular nutrition diets today, carbohydrates, protein “deficiency,” and even snacking are not the enemies of weight loss.The key to losing weight is actually pretty simple: avoid consuming ultra-processed foods and animal products, and instead focus on eating natural foods that nourish your body without overloading you on calories.
- WFPB nutrition allows you to take in fewer calories through whole foods, while keeping you full. In turn, your body uses all that energy for fuel and decreases fat. The mechanics of weight loss are simple: your body stores fat when you are consuming more calories than you are using, but your body burns that unwanted fat when you are using more calories than you are consuming. A WFPB means you’ll consume fewer calories than you would eating animal products, oil, or ultra-processed foods simply because whole foods contain fewer calories and more fiber (which helps you feel full and promotes positive gut health).
- WFPB nutrition prevents and reverses the main diseases that are killing Americans today. The top deadly diseases in America are heart disease and cancer, followed soon by Alzheimer’s, cerebrovascular diseases, and Type 2 Diabetes. A WFPB is the only diet that has been scientifically proven to prevent and reverse all of these diseases.Unlike animal products and processed foods that are naturally high in fat and cause obesity, a WFPB diet can reverse clogged arteries, fights off free radicals, and can eradicate these diseases.Consistent WFPB nutrition also naturally lowers your blood pressure and cholesterol levels, preventing (and often reversing) diseases such as heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes, and cognitive diseases since blood has an easier path to your brain and other parts of your body.
Although the WFPB diet is simple in theory, we know it’s not always so easy to actually eliminate all the “bad foods” from your diet and replace them with healthy options. That’s why we offer personalized, one-on-one nutrition coaching to help you create a weight loss plan that will meet your health goals and to support you in your weight loss journey.
This plan also includes two meals a day so you don’t have to worry about searching for whole foods at the grocery store, finding new recipes, or eating boring foods (because let’s be honest, eating food that actually tastes good is super important to happiness and sustainable weight loss).
Request a Complimentary Weight Loss Consultation with Jen, our Licensed Dietitian
What Are the Benefits of a Plant-Based Diet?
Plant-based nutrition offers numerous benefits to your physical and mental health, and it is also good for our planet. When it comes to weight loss, a plant-based diet features the following benefits over other, trendy diets:
- Consume fewer calories – without worrying about counting them.Plant-based whole foods contain much fewer calories than their processed, high-fat counterparts. For example, 250g of steak is ~680 calories while 250g of kale is ~125 calories, and one serving of french fries (117g) is ~365 calories while one apple (182g) is ~95 calories, according to the USDA. Because there are so many fewer calories in plant-based foods, when you say hello to a WFPB diet, you can say goodbye to counting calories.
- Feel more full and satisfied with your meals – while focusing on your weight loss journey. Fiber is great for your gut health and is also a nutrient that makes you feel full. This is because your body cannot break it down, so it stays intact through your digestive tract and leaves you feeling satisfied. In fact, studies show that people with high-fiber diets consistently enjoy lower body weight over time. Legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains (all foods found in a WFPB diet) are fiber-dense foods, so you’ll feel full and satisfied after eating a WFPB meal.
- Feel more energized – while eating carbs. Carbohydrates are the energy nutrient; your body uses the carbs you eat to fuel everything you do. However, some carbs found in processed sugars (and food products that often accompany them like oil and processed ingredients) negatively impact your energy levels and can make you feel sluggish.On a WFPB diet, you’ll consume natural, healthy carbohydrates like those found in fruits and legumes, helping you feel more energized.
- Eat when you’re hungry – which includes snacking. Yes, having a snack is absolutely allowed on a WFPB diet. Remember, with WFPB nutrition you’re only allowing the best kinds of natural food to enter your stomach, so you can snack guilt-free whenever you’re hungry. And because plant-based whole foods are low in calories and high in fiber, you’ll feel satisfied and energized from your snack while still losing weight.
- Eat a variety of new, delicious, and exciting food – while eating mostly plants.“Plant-based diet” does not mean “salad three meals a day.” We repeat: “plant-based diet” does not (and will never) mean “salad three meals a day.” Armed with spices (which are incredibly healthy), a little bit of creativity, and some recipe research, your WFPB diet will be just as exciting (if not more so) than your diet now.A WFPB nutrition plan opens the door to a wide array of flavors, food combinations, and creative recipes so you never get bored.
- Don’t worry about putting the weight back on. WFPB nutrition is a natural method of weight loss, so the weight you lose with WFPB is more sustainable than with other, fad diets. This is especially contrary to diets that remove carbohydrates from the diet and replace it with fat or other highly processed carbohydrates. Eventually, all that fat is bad for your health and reintroducing carbs rapidly puts pounds back on.
- Do more for your body than just lose weight – improve your overall health. While other diets might not talk about your overall health and freeing you from certain medications, WFPB nutrition has been proven to prevent and reverse high blood pressure, heart disease, and Type 2 Diabetes, likely decreasing your need for medications related to these conditions.
- Decrease your carbon footprint – while losing weight. The fastest way to decrease your carbon footprint is by adopting a plant-based lifestyle. The production of animal products takes a toll on our planet; eating one less burger a week saves the equivalent of 320 miles in carbon emissions, and opting for one pound of vegetables over one pound of beef saves 1,811 gallons of water.
Whole-food, plant-based nutrition is the basis of a healthier, happier, more sustainable lifestyle. Likewise, a WFPB diet will do so much more for you than help you lose weight.
Those who practice WFPB nutrition enjoy a 55% decreased chance of high blood pressure, a 32% reduced risk of heart disease, and 78% less chance of developing diabetes. In addition, removing saturated and unsaturated fat decreases your risk of developing cognitive conditions, and WFPB nutrition has been proven to decrease the chance of developing certain cancers.
In all reality, losing weight is actually an added bonus of adopting a WFPB nutrition plan, second to the positive impact it has on your overall health and wellbeing. But let’s be honest: losing weight is a huge and noticeable motivator.Learn All 12 Top Health Benefits of WFPB
The Three Things You Need to Be Successful with Plant-Based
Any time that you want to start a new diet, it is recommended that you educate yourself as much as you can in order to ensure you’re making healthy decisions and that you’re following the new diet correctly. A plant-based diet is no different.
Use these tips for getting started to make sure you’re following the diet correctly and in a healthy way so you see all of the amazing results!
- Keep yourself accountable! Accountability is always one of the hardest parts of starting a new diet. Keeping track of your progress in a journal makes you more likely to hold yourself accountable. Plus, it is always encouraging to see how far you’ve come.
- Learn and follow the recommended daily servings of a variety of plant-based foods. At Sweet Pea Plant-Based, we base our food plans on Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen which includes recommended servings of beans, berries, fruits, cruciferous vegetables, greens, vegetables, flaxseed, nuts, grains, and spices as well as fluids and exercise.
- Learn about the science of nutrient metabolism and how food directly affects your day-to-day functions. By linking science-based information to your food, you’re more likely to understand and stick with a plan.
Eat Delicious Food that Fills You Up
- Don’t skip any meals. With a WFPB diet, you don’t need to skip any meals. In fact, to make sure you’re giving your body all the nutrients it needs in a day, you should eat three balanced meals including a high fiber whole grain breakfast, a colorful lunch, and a well balanced dinner. You can even snack on WFPB foods if you’re hungry in between your meals.
- Fill up with fiber. Be sure you get enough fiber in each of your daily meals. Fiber is what will make you feel full without adding any unhealthy fat to your diet.
- Practice the art of meal prep. Planning and preparing meals ahead of time can help you feel less overwhelmed when it’s time to make dinner or grab lunch. Having prepared food on-hand also increases the likelihood you’ll stick to your diet when cravings come.
At Sweet Pea Plant-Based, we offer meal plans that include chef-prepared heat-and-eat meals to help you with this part and make your dieting easier than ever.
#1 Tip for Weight Loss with Plant-Based Nutrition
Find and commit to a nutrition plan that checks all the boxes.
At Sweet Pea Plant-Based, we offer personalized, one-on-one nutrition coaching that helps people like you develop a weight loss plan that is custom-made to meet their health goals. Our effective four-week WFPB program focuses on helping you become healthier – as well as lose weight.
During the four-week program, you will receive one-on-one nutrition coaching that will keep you accountable and monitor your health factors: weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol. You’ll also receive two chef-prepared, home-delivered meals a day that are based on the Daily Dozen, rich in fiber, oil-free, and easy.
We have found that through nutrition coaching and meal planning, people are more likely to stick to the diet which makes them more likely to meet their weight loss goals and receive the additional health benefits associated with WFPB nutrition.
Schedule a Free Weight Loss Consultation
Losing Weight with Sweet Pea
At Sweet Pea Plant-Based, we’re in the business of helping people lose weight, but our priority is improving your overall health with plant-based nutrition coaching. Our four-week nutrition coaching program helps people like you lose weight, lower their blood pressure and cholesterol, and improve their overall health and wellbeing.
Our four-week program includes:
- 2 chef-prepared, home-delivered meals each day
- Weekly one-on-one nutrition coaching with our on-staff Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Certified Personal Trainer
- Customized nutrition program
- Education material and coaching to help you build your knowledge about WFPB
- Journal so that you can track your progress and stay accountable
- Weekly check-in monitoring your weight and blood pressure
- Guaranteed reduced cholesterol of 20%
The only way to know if a plant-based diet is right for you is to give it a try.
The first step to getting started with Sweet Pea is a quick 20-minute discovery phone consultation with Jen Nguyen, our Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. Jen uses this call to uncover what you are already doing to better your health, learn about your goals, and educate you on how Sweet Pea can help meet your goals. We’ll answer the questions:
- What are you looking to improve in your health?
- Why would you like to lose weight, and how much weight are you trying to lose?
- Will Sweet Pea be a good fit for you?
When you adopt a WFPB nutrition plan, you’ll lose weight – and lower your blood pressure and cholesterol, reduce your need for certain medications, reduce your carbon footprint, and feel more positive, energetic, and clear-minded.
What are you waiting for? Schedule your complimentary discovery consultation today.